Sunday, January 6, 2008

Becoming a Family

Sam and I met at college. When we were dating, he used to write me songs and serenade me with his guitar. Who can resist that?

After dating for a semester, I went to Russia for six months. We kept in touch through email and letters. During that time I decided that I never wanted to be so far away from him again! Soon after I returned home, we were engaged.

We've been married now for 18 years. We hoped to have children right away. Although it was a struggle to wait so long to become parents, we are grateful for the time we've had together .

When Adam joined our family, it was one of the most wonderful days of our lives! He was placed with us when he was just two days old. I still remember our first night together, Sam and I took turns holding him and crying--it was a miracle! After so much hoping and praying and waiting (and waiting!), we were finally parents!

Sleeping with dad.

Cuddling with Mom.

Sleeping with Dad (again!)


It is a joy to raise Adam, to help him as he grows and discovers the world.



Jacob joined our family in a flash--his adoption was 14 days from start to finish! With Adam, we went through an adoption agency, waited several months to be matched, and then several more months until he was born. With Jacob, we met the birthparents a few days before he was born, and they didn't make a final decision until several days later. This time we used an attorney, and completed the adoption privately.



Adam and Jacob are as different in personality as they are in looks, and we wouldn't have it any other way! From the minute he came home, Jacob and Adam had a special bond as brothers.